Sunday, August 23, 2009

North Carolina- C'mon and Raise Up




So from now on, whenever I post my blogs I am going to post 10 songs that I feel go along with the mode of the particular post. So you should, listen to these as you read the blog.
I wish I could find some way to link the audio tracks to my blog.. I am working on that anyhow here they are:

1. Petey Pablo "Raise Up" -
2. Drake, Trey Songz, Lil Wayne - "Successful"
3. Ginuwine- "Last Chance"
4. Summer Time - Dead Prez
5. Regina Spektor - Us
6. The Smiths - Please,Please, Let me get what I want!
7. U2 - Magnificent
8. Cold Play - Viva La Vida
9. Human Nature- Michael Jackson
10. Stevie Wonder- As

So after hearing the news during summer Institute about program closing at Fleming, I was forced to contemplate the possibility of finding another job outside of Citizen Schools and assess my current living situation. While one should always keep their head on a swivel and look at opportunities that may arise, I was a bit narrow-minded, solely focusing on trying to lay down the foundation for this program in Houston. If I’ve learned anything during this last month, it’s been that the term “job security” doesn’t mean much any more. So after returning to Houston after Boston, I found myself back on a plane 48 hours later to look at an opportunity to continue work as a Campus Director, in Henderson North Carolina.

The Trip to North Carolina was both exciting and a good experience. I got to hang out with Tracy Gilbert, whom is fellow graduate of the National Teaching Fellowship with me and Campus Director. I got to do some apt hunting and have an honest and important conversation about work, life, and Citizen Schools with Erik Turner, who would be my future boss, in North Carolina. The trip allowed me to make North Carolina a more realistic and viable option for both future employment and residency.(I sound like a nerd! Don’t I ).

“My head is spinning, What am I to do? I’m suppose to know what to do, and I’m suppose to make the right decision, what is that?”


I wasn’t given much time to make the decision… so I had to think ummmmm short and hard about a choice that would change my life. ( I don’t consider myself a drama king by any means, but this is kinda fucking ridiculous huh?)
So after three days of meditation on the choices that I needed to make… I chose to accept the position in North Carolina. I felt that after having a crazy year in Houston, I wanted to really dive deep into the position and needed a second year to prove to myself that I could successfully handle this position. I don’t plan on taking positions below this one again, so I either needed to man up or get out the game! !
So that left me with 14 days to prepare myself for Departure from Houston to head to North Carolina

No comments: