Friday, June 19, 2009

The Dog Days of Summer Program


i seem to recognize your face haunting, familiar, yet i can't seem to place it cannot find the candle of thought to light your name lifetimes are catching up with me all these changes taking place, i wish i'd seen the place but no one's ever taken me hearts and thoughts they fade, fade away...

-Pearl Jam "Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town"



Even though I've only posted two or three time since my return from blog sabbatical, I feel as though I should step away for a sec to let you all in on what I do for a living. I am a Director of an After-School program for a non-profit organization called Citizen Schools (www.citizenschools.org).

The purpose of the program is to provide students in low-income and under performing districts with access and equal opportunity to resources and introduce them to caring and mentoring adults who will help them to develop leadership and other social skills. We help students develop study skills along with the 21st century new basic skills such as:
* Data Analysis
* Written Communication
* Technology
* Teamwork
* Oral Communication

Here are a couple of pictures of campus along with pictures my summer program and the field trip we went on today. It was Hot as Hell outside. You may have experience hot summers, but I don't think you have every felt Texas Heat, its a bit ridiculous!


<- This clip is of one of my students hugging me soak and wet, I had the camera in my hand and the only thing I could do was give out a weird shriek!






No comments: