Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Help Restore Funding for Citizen Schools in North Carolina

WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT?
As of April 15th, 2011 the funding that was provided to Citizen Schools from the North Carolina General Assembly was cut entirely from the 2011 - 2012 budget.  This would significantly affect our ability to sustain program in North Carolina.
As our State Team Members Jerri Fatticci, Cassie McIntyre, and Jill Ullman descended upon the Capital (Raleigh) this week to lobby and push that they restore the $360,000 appropriation, we need YOU and your SUPPORT!
This is a call to all Citizen Teachers, Parents, and Educators who understand the positive effect that Citizen Schools can have in improving the education in America.
This program is more than just a job for me, its my life...   While some may argue that I must suffer from a mismanagement of work life balance... the life of Campus Director, is that of a lonely one.  For 5 years, I've worked to help set foundations, build culture, invest different constituents, and shape minds.   During this time I've traveled and lived in three different states, I've worked with Hundreds of kids, volunteers, and fellow educators.  If I've learned one thing from my tenure (if half a decade can be called that) is this... We cannot put all the work on our schools to produce positive, self sustaining, contributing members of society. We all have to play our parts in this equation.

If we lose programs like Citizen Schools, we take several steps back in the ground we've gained in creating opportunities for all to receive an equal education...

The work that I do is difficult, its exhausting, and frustrating at moments, but its the rarest purest form of public service that I know.  Call me crazy, but I love this work,  and I love those of you that are in the trenches with me everyday trying to make a difference with our youth!
Today I ask you to help me advocate for Citizen Schools, so that I along with other Citizen Schools' staff can continue to serve the children of North Carolina.  All you need to do is click this link
Write a North Carolina Representative

and follow the instructions of how to email a letter of support for Citizen Schools to a Representative in City where we have a Citizen Schools campus..

Every second is an opportunity to make a difference... Your time started 5 mins ago...  click the link and support!!!

No comments: