Thursday, June 30, 2011

So sentimental.... not sentimental enough!!!

"Come gather around people wherever you roam 
and admit that the waters around you have grown
and expect that it soon you'll be drenched to the bone 
if your time to you is worth saving 
Well you better start swimming or you'll sink like a stone 
For the times are changing!" 



Kaylor Garcia is John Hopkins Bound
        One by one they each removed their Citizen Schools office key off their lanyards and place them on my desk! After today the one place that had served as the glue that bounded us together would no longer do so!  It was really hard to watch them turn their keys in.  Four of my staff members will be moving on after today to pursue bigger and better endeavors. I don't really know how to handle folks leaving. I've been away from home for so long, I had longed for some sort of stability in my life.  I didn't have it in the form of a significant other, but I did have with in my professional life, which is why it became so hard to separate and differentiate work and life.  My family away from home were these guys who were now leaving. 

Sara Kelleher is working in Boston HQ.
Two years ago,  they stood in the office ready to take on the challenges that came with creating and sustaining a program that pushes change around it. I did the best I could to coach them and make them better and I truly hope that they were able to learn something or take something of high significance from our time together! 



I once read and heard the quote " People come into your life for a reason, a season, or a lifetime and you have to have the wisdom to understand this in life."

Phil is teaching Theater in Baltimore
I goofed around with my staff  and say that I am detached from my emotions, but as I wrote this blog post, and listened to Bob Dylan... I began to feel mixed bag of emotions engulf me!   

Kyle is getting married and moving to Thailand
Each of my Teaching Fellows that ended their tenure today, have the potential to do something amazing and I am truly blessed to have been in the trenches with them!  I wish you all the best! 


Citizen Schools staff place their keys on the director's desk.  He takes them and places them up on the board, in hope he may find a group of superheroes that are deemed worthy to carry these keys, wear the cowl, and accept all the responsibility that comes with being a RAM!  He turns the lights off and closes and locks the door. They walk down the hallway and down the stairs... and the scene fades out!! 





No comments: