Friday, November 19, 2010

Damn it Vanessa Zalapa you had me at Dear Citizen Schools

As I type this post... I find myself laughing at the fact that my emotions are on a delayed timer! It takes me a while to really let things soak and to really understand the depth of a moment. I don't know why I can't just express everything in one single swoop and get all those hard feelings out at the time they are needed, but needless to say it makes for awkward moments sometimes!

Example: Had a hard break-up once that took me forever to get over... had not really dealt with the emotions aspect of it as fast as I thought!  One night (a very long time afterwards) I watched the movie Vanilla Sky and at the end... when Tom Cruise has to make the decision to either continue to live in a fantasy where he had captured his soulmate or  he has to wake up and deal with the reality that he missed his chance to be with her... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTb95TxUc2M
( my eyes started to tear up and I began crying ! ( HAVE YOU EVER HEARD A GROWN MAN CRY!)

I know friends are going to let me have it for that part but it lead me to this part!

Today, I had a 6th grader name Vanessa make the entire staff cry.. she's legally blind, so she has a Braille machine... she wrote a letter to the Citizen Schools staff in Braille and read it during our staff meeting about how we supported her and how she loves each of the staff memebers... and how we help her during her Tuesday Apprenticeship!


Vanessa is the young lady in the middle!
 Immediately the staff, one by one, just peeled over! Even the Iron Man himself, had to step out of the Office and wipe his eyes!  But as amazing as that was, and how moved I was, I didn't cry!  I know its coming.... sometime soon... it could be while I'm chilling with you.. I just might tear up for no damn reason or cry Vanessa's name out!  Just warning you!

But, Vanessa we are so proud of you and are excited that you are in program! Keep up the work

No comments: